Intro

This blog is supposed to be, as much as I can, my daily journey through life as a Christian. I hope it to be my thoughts and feelings on life but be as grounded in the Christian message as it can. My intention is not to create a daily readings or bible study guide but to look at my life in terms of a Christian trying to find and follow God's mission using his Life User's Manuel AKA the Bible.

Matthew 10 19-20

And don't you worry about what you'll say or how you'll say it. The right words will be there; the Spirit of your Father will supply the words. - Matthew 10 19-20

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Learning to listen

How many people really listen to anyone else? I would imagine the answer is not many, I know I often don't. Most of us just use the time when someone else is talking to think about what we will say next. Oh sure we will "listen" but we only scan the conversation for buzz words or alarm bells. The art of listening is one that is not practised much, there is always something to distract us or get in the way. Related to this is prayer, anyone who prays knows that it often tends to be a one way conversation. We are forever telling God what we want, what we need and filling the airtime with mostly meaningless banter that He already knows. Who are we doing this for, He knows us inside out, He knows our very souls, for goodness sake He made us didn't He? I'm not trying to say that prayer is meaningless, far from it. However we do need to consider what prayer actually is. It is a conversation with our Father, an intimate meeting of minds where we can truly be ourselves like in no other situation. I guess what I am saying is that we (and I mostly mean me by this) need to slow down from time to time and listen to the other side of the conversation. You don't see signs from God? then why not try slowing down once in a while and listen to what He is saying, you may find out He has been screaming at you for some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment