Intro

This blog is supposed to be, as much as I can, my daily journey through life as a Christian. I hope it to be my thoughts and feelings on life but be as grounded in the Christian message as it can. My intention is not to create a daily readings or bible study guide but to look at my life in terms of a Christian trying to find and follow God's mission using his Life User's Manuel AKA the Bible.

Matthew 10 19-20

And don't you worry about what you'll say or how you'll say it. The right words will be there; the Spirit of your Father will supply the words. - Matthew 10 19-20

Monday, September 20, 2010

Prayer gently lifts me

Prayer gently lifts me to highest heaven,
From Earth's confusion to Jesus' breast;
My sin and weakness, my doubt and sorrow,
Are lost for ever in sweetest rest.

This short chorus is one I have not heard in many years, and then we sang it last night in our Church service. The old songs and choruses sometimes get forgotten these days. There is a lot of good music out there in celebration of our God and not all of it can be used all the time. The problem is sometimes we seem to over complicate things, we try too hard to impress God with our intelligence and skills. He knows what we are capable of, He made us. Sometimes it is the sweet simplicity of such words as those above that convey the true feelings of our hearts. When we are not focussed on fancy music and long complex words we are free to think about what we are saying to our Father. We don't need to show off to God, we don't need to prove ourselves to him. If we did then we could never be saved, we can never be good enough for God. But we don't need to be, we just need to give ourselves fully and honestly to God forgetting what we are in the world. Once we reach this point we can start to use God's help to change our whole life.

No comments:

Post a Comment