Intro

This blog is supposed to be, as much as I can, my daily journey through life as a Christian. I hope it to be my thoughts and feelings on life but be as grounded in the Christian message as it can. My intention is not to create a daily readings or bible study guide but to look at my life in terms of a Christian trying to find and follow God's mission using his Life User's Manuel AKA the Bible.

Matthew 10 19-20

And don't you worry about what you'll say or how you'll say it. The right words will be there; the Spirit of your Father will supply the words. - Matthew 10 19-20

Wednesday, September 08, 2010

How to pray

Ok, so I mentioned the other day that I had been given a really helpful book on prayer and said I would hunt out the details to share with you. The book is How to pray - A practical handbook by John Pritchard. I didn't find this to be the easiest book in the world to read, but then as I find the whole subject very difficult I doubt if I would find any book on the subject easy. I did however find a lot of very useful hints and tips hidden inside. The book covers a large range of ideas covering the basics of how to start having a dialogue with God through to different theologies on prayer such as Benedictine and Ignatian prayer styles. Like I already mentioned that while I did find this book slightly hard going at times I do however feel it is a very challenging book. It challenges you to try many different ideas and styles in the hope that you will find one that works for you. I intend to go through this book again soon in order to see if I can get everything I can from this book since I am now in a different place to what I was 2+ months ago when I first read it. This book may not be for you but you may know someone like me who may benefit from it if they only persevere, not everything in life should be easy and prayer is something we need to strive at daily. So to sum up, yes this is a difficult book, however it tackles a difficult subject and the effort is worth it for the goods it reveals. As one friend of mine says, prayer is like breathing, so if you can not pray you need a ventilator. For me this book has been that ventilator and for that I thank John Pritchard.

No comments:

Post a Comment