Intro

This blog is supposed to be, as much as I can, my daily journey through life as a Christian. I hope it to be my thoughts and feelings on life but be as grounded in the Christian message as it can. My intention is not to create a daily readings or bible study guide but to look at my life in terms of a Christian trying to find and follow God's mission using his Life User's Manuel AKA the Bible.

Matthew 10 19-20

And don't you worry about what you'll say or how you'll say it. The right words will be there; the Spirit of your Father will supply the words. - Matthew 10 19-20

Monday, September 27, 2010

Off to the grindstone

So today is my first day at my new job. I have been looking forward to starting ever since my interview and the phone call I received afterwards. I decided before I started work I would visit my little brother at university so that if things become hectic with work and trying to live my life too I would still have visited him once this year. So after visiting my new employer on Thursday I packed my things, booked a train ticket and prepared to visit my brother for the weekend. It is a 4 hour journey to get from home to where my brother is and so  decided I would spend the time constructively and try to finish reading the street bible, that however did not happen, despite the 8 hour round trip I am still only up to the Psalms, however I will review this paraphrase fully once I finish it. When I finally got there it was not quite time to relax, my brother had requested that I cook for him and his flatmates. I agreed mostly because I love cooking, and eating, but also because I know how hard it is moving away from home for the first time and a little home comfort makes all the difference. I had a great time meeting and getting to know the new people my brother is living with. Over the course of the weekend we have eaten together, enjoyed DVD's and been out to the pub enjoying each others company and having a lot of fun.

After the fun of Friday and Saturday we decided to have a mode sedate Sunday, it is after all the day of rest for Christians. So we got up in time to go to my brothers local Church and attend the meeting there. It was an interesting experience to worship with this new group of people, it was different to many Churches I have been to. It was not loud and vibrant, but it also was not quiet and sedate. There was a nice feel to the worship and the whole place emanated friendliness. It made me very happy to see that my brother will hopefully be part of such a warm and inviting fellowship while he is away from home. After this I took my brother out for lunch which while not being the traditional Sunday roast was a great time shared together. We had a good meal, good conversation and even managed to watch the F1 Grand Prix while at the pub, definitely a good day all round.

The journey home was one of mixed feelings, I get on very well with my little brother, at times he is more like a best friend than a brother and I am missing him not being at home. While I have been away from home for 5 years it is strange to now be at home and him not to be there. However I know he is having a great time at university and he has made some great friends both in his halls and at his new Church.

Now I am at home I am preparing myself for my first day at work. I am both excited and apprehensive about this new job in a way I have never been about previous jobs. All the jobs I have worked in the past have been relatively easy in that they required only that I think a bit and generally sell things to people who didn't really want or need them. This job however is hugely different, not only is it not what I have trained to work as but I also have little to no experience in this environment. Saying this though I do feel that this job is what I should be doing right now, I feel as though God has directed me to it and put me in this place at this time for a reason. I am pretty sure I know what the reason is and although it is quite scary it is also liberating and exciting too. Since I have started to pursue this new direction in my life I have felt happier in myself, less pressured and less stressed about the future. I think that handing over control to God has been the best decision I have ever made and hope that I can continue to trust Him as He does have the best plan already worked out. Well that is pretty much all for now, I will try and work something together from my first day at work for tonight to let you guys know how it went. Until then hope you all have a great day, and please pray for me embarking on this new adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment