Intro

This blog is supposed to be, as much as I can, my daily journey through life as a Christian. I hope it to be my thoughts and feelings on life but be as grounded in the Christian message as it can. My intention is not to create a daily readings or bible study guide but to look at my life in terms of a Christian trying to find and follow God's mission using his Life User's Manuel AKA the Bible.

Matthew 10 19-20

And don't you worry about what you'll say or how you'll say it. The right words will be there; the Spirit of your Father will supply the words. - Matthew 10 19-20

Saturday, September 18, 2010

A story of a flat tyre

So last weekend I borrowed my Dad's little car to go away with friends for the weekend. The weekend went really well, we all had a great time and didn't want it to end. But after a road trip of well over 500 miles I finally arrived back home and went to bed for a well needed sleep. The next day my Dad and I for a run to the shops decided to use the little car instead of his usual one, when I noticed the rear tyre was flat. Then started the shouting and the accusations because of course since this tyre was flat the world was about to end and it was all my fault. But then I had used the car, it had happened on my watch, what could I say. So I listened to him shout and bit my lip not to retort. So we filled the tyre and it seemed to be fine, so we drove it to the shops and decided to keep an eye on it to see if it stayed up. Well this morning it was flat again, cue more shouting, and I was told to change the tyre. Not a difficult job so off I went with the jack in hand to put the spare wheel on the car. Half way through Dad decides to come "help" giving orders and telling me how uselessly useless I am at practical things because I am an academic. Again biting my lip so as not to say anything to make the situation worse. Once the tyre was off Dad had a look at it to see if he could find the problem, what damage could have caused the air leak. Lo and behold there was a whacking great nail in the tread hidden from view while on the car but shining away now the wheel was off. With the normal attitude of my Dad, with no apology for the last week of grief he said, hey maybe this nail made the tyre go flat. And with that he went back into the house. Now if ever I needed grace to handle any task it has been this week with my Dad. I have something huge to tell him and every time I see him there is a huge wall in the way that I can see no way past. Sometimes me and my Dad can be kind of close, in the way that men where I live are mutually respectful of each other. But recently our relationship has been strained. I am hoping that I can make the break through soon as I am fast running out of time to talk to my Dad about this and know I need to do it soon. But I don't want to tell him in a situation that is going to turn it into a confrontation. Hoping that with God's help I can find an opportunity to tell him soon.

In other news, the second linked Bible study with Caron should hopefully be ready to post on Monday. We have had a short chat about it and hope to make it a fortnightly thing. Let me know your thoughts on its success or failure and if you have any suggestions for future Bible studies let me know on jerrathorn@gmail.com and we will hopefully get to look at them at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment