Intro

This blog is supposed to be, as much as I can, my daily journey through life as a Christian. I hope it to be my thoughts and feelings on life but be as grounded in the Christian message as it can. My intention is not to create a daily readings or bible study guide but to look at my life in terms of a Christian trying to find and follow God's mission using his Life User's Manuel AKA the Bible.

Matthew 10 19-20

And don't you worry about what you'll say or how you'll say it. The right words will be there; the Spirit of your Father will supply the words. - Matthew 10 19-20

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Science and religion

I am right in the middle of this battle on a daily basis. I am a trained scientist, my specialities are in Quantum, Nuclear and Subnuclear Physics. So as you can imagine I come across the science religion debate a lot. In a department of about 400 I am 1 of only about 40 religious people and only 1 of 2 Christians. Most of the religious academics in my department are Muslim and as such no one really says anything for the fear of offending. However as a Christian I am seen as fair game, where as Islam is viewed as cultural Christianity is viewed as an emotional support for unintelligent people. Personally the biggest problem I have with this debate is not that science and religion are incompatible. The issue is that we have reached a point where both sides are so entrenched that neither can easily move, or for that matter see above the parapet. As I am in a privileged position of being able to see both sides I have the opportunity to fight the battle on both fronts. Day by day while working I have the chance to show my fellow scientists that being a Christian does not stop me being exceptional at my job. It also lets me use unique opportunities to describe my faith in a way other Christians would not get. On the other front my example can show fellow Christians that science is not the enemy. Science is as God given as religion is, through science we can see the sheer awesomeness of our God and his wonderful creation. I think that this is enough on the subject for now but I do intend to post further on this debate as I feel it is wasting valuable time in both camps fighting a war that makes no sense since we both agree on so much. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment