Intro

This blog is supposed to be, as much as I can, my daily journey through life as a Christian. I hope it to be my thoughts and feelings on life but be as grounded in the Christian message as it can. My intention is not to create a daily readings or bible study guide but to look at my life in terms of a Christian trying to find and follow God's mission using his Life User's Manuel AKA the Bible.

Matthew 10 19-20

And don't you worry about what you'll say or how you'll say it. The right words will be there; the Spirit of your Father will supply the words. - Matthew 10 19-20

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Back to work blues

I know that I have essentially just had two weeks holiday and that in the present climate I should be happy to have a job and be earning money. But this morning I just can not motivate myself to get up and go to work. My bed feels too comfortable and warm, outside is too cold and dreary and today is my longest and most unsociable shift of the week.

I know that once I get to work I will enjoy it and that I will have a laugh with my colleges and the residents who I have not seen for a number of days. I also know that after having some time off I will have the interesting task of meeting and working with the new residents who have moved in while I have been off, which is always interesting. But like I say, this morning I am comfortable in my bed and have no drive to get up and go to work.

The truth is that we all have days like this, where we have no motivation and no drive, we feel lazy and only want to think of ourselves. But it is at these times we need to remember what it is we are living for, what it is we are working for. When you go to work yes you are working for your boos and to earn money, but you are also out there in the world working for God.

Colossians 3:23-24
    Work from the heart for your real Master, for God, confident that you'll get paid in full when you come into your inheritance. Keep in mind always that the ultimate Master you're serving is Christ.

In everything we do we need to remember that God is our true master and that everything we do should be done through and for Him. In going to work we are going out into the world on to the front line, we are going into the places where God wants us to take His word. By our actions and behaviour our colleges and clients should see that we are different.

Keeping in mind that we are ultimately serving Christ should be a powerful motivator, it should bring us strength and hope when we struggle or find work difficult. It should also remind you that when you lose your motivation and drive that if you pray you will be helped. Not only that but that through the Holy Spirit, God can be there working through you if only you allow Him in.

Who are you working for right now? Are you living your Christian life out at work? I know these two questions are challenging for me and are something I need to work on setting right, but putting God at the centre of my life requires me to put Him at the centre of everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment