Intro

This blog is supposed to be, as much as I can, my daily journey through life as a Christian. I hope it to be my thoughts and feelings on life but be as grounded in the Christian message as it can. My intention is not to create a daily readings or bible study guide but to look at my life in terms of a Christian trying to find and follow God's mission using his Life User's Manuel AKA the Bible.

Matthew 10 19-20

And don't you worry about what you'll say or how you'll say it. The right words will be there; the Spirit of your Father will supply the words. - Matthew 10 19-20

Thursday, January 20, 2011

The swapping game...... Again

Ok yesterday I was out in the city centre wandering around, wasting time and generally browsing. After spending 3 hours in Starbucks on one drink I couldn't really go back and so time until I met with my friends had to be filled in with something. So I ended up wandering around, half browsing, half looking for somewhere with free wifi so that I could get on with some work while filling in the time. While I was doing this I was stopped by a charity fund raiser from the NSPCC, these are a fantastic charity, one I have worked with before as a counsellor and one I would love to support again but due to needing to save to go work in Canada next year I have no spare cash to donate to other causes at the moment. However please visit the web link above and if you feel you want to and can leave a donation for them, it will be going towards good work.

However I was able to spend some time talking to the girl who stopped me and talk about a few things, she was a really nice girl who seemed really passionate about the cause and almost persuaded me to pledge money I don't have. however towards the end of the conversation she introduced me to a game, a game I played once before and it almost took over my life. The game I am talking about is not like my childish Consecutive Alphabet Numberplate Counting Game that I play when I am driving (2011 game is now already on to the letter F) the game is the swapping game.

The rules are simple, starting with something you have received either for free or purchased for less than £1 ($1 in the US etc.) and swap it systematically until you have something of significant value. The first time I played this game we had the time limit of one day and I managed to turn a paper clip into an inflatable kayak within 4 hours (an impressive achievement, no?). Well today it started all over again, I traded one of my many badges from off my bag and turned it into a child's wind up toy. The key to the game lies in the fact that something's perceived value and its actual cost do not always match up in real life.

So I am playing the game again, I have a children's wind up toy now and an open ended challenge, what can I trade it up to? Is it possible that unintentionally this chance meeting may have given me the spark and impulse to start the swapping game again. If in playing the swapping game I manage to trade up to something of significant value is it ethical to sell said item and use it as part of my funds for travelling to Canada? That is a honest serious question, as long as I do not rip anyone off, as long as I am honest with every trade and explain the reason behind the game is it unethical to play this game and use the possible profits to fund my going to Canada to work for God there?

 (Also is there anyone who is interested in trading a small wind up kids toy for anything?)

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of that game but it actually sounds kind of fun. I don't necessarily see a problem with it, Jesus said to be "wise as snakes and harmless as doves" and it sounds like you are possibly doing that in a way. As long as no one is hurt and you do it honestly, go for it!

    I would trade you....but shipping from the US to the UK is a lil bit expensive! :P Maybe sometime when you're in Canada! :D

    ReplyDelete