Intro

This blog is supposed to be, as much as I can, my daily journey through life as a Christian. I hope it to be my thoughts and feelings on life but be as grounded in the Christian message as it can. My intention is not to create a daily readings or bible study guide but to look at my life in terms of a Christian trying to find and follow God's mission using his Life User's Manuel AKA the Bible.

Matthew 10 19-20

And don't you worry about what you'll say or how you'll say it. The right words will be there; the Spirit of your Father will supply the words. - Matthew 10 19-20

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Jesus is the same still

Hebrews 13:8
     Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

Yesterday I posted on this verse and asked that you stop and think about this Bible verse and what it really means. I wanted everyone to take some time to prayerfully consider this verse before I wrote about my thoughts on the subject.

For me this verse is something I have only recently come to appreciate. Jesus never changes. Times come and go, kingdoms rise and fall, eventually the whole of creation will have existed and be no more yet Jesus will still be exactly the same as He always was. I have mentioned before my training in science and my love for the same. 

While learning about the universe in my time at university I learned a huge amount about numbers. Learning about numbers, specifically at very large and very small scales I came to some sort of appreciation about just how long the universe has existed for. Jesus was the word at the beginning of the universe, the hands though which the universe was created. This time is so long as to be nothing but an abstract thought for mere humans, but Jesus has lived this, been there, seen it all.

It is hard for humans who by their very nature are constantly changing to understand a perfect unchangeable being. Everything we experience in life changes us in some way, every day we wake up and go to bed slightly different to the last time we did so and different to what we will be next time we do them. 

Yet the God we worship never changes, when we pray we are talking to the same God who walked with Adam in Eden, the God who changed Abram into Abraham. He is the God who talked with Moses at the burning bush and gave him the 10 commandments, the God of the Prophets and of Israel. Do we really appreciate the fact that the God we worship, our Saviour is the same as He was in the Bible, the same as when He died on the cross.

It is very easy at times to justify the ways we act and the things we do as being somehow different to things in the past. We become lax and fall into habits we know Jesus taught against and that would upset God. And the way we justify them is that we are living in a different world to then and that things really are different now.

But God has not changed ans sin is still sin. There is nothing we can do to change the fact that the worlds ways are upsetting to God and that as His children He wants us to act differently to those ways. It is a hard thing to do to live up to the example Jesus was, but it is a worthwhile goal, it must be as the prize is eternal life in Heaven. 

We can trust in God and always rely on Him because we can trust that He will always be the same and He will always be there when you need Him. We can rejoice in the fact that our God will always be the kind loving Father that he is and has been. He will always be the same, yesterday, today and forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment