Intro

This blog is supposed to be, as much as I can, my daily journey through life as a Christian. I hope it to be my thoughts and feelings on life but be as grounded in the Christian message as it can. My intention is not to create a daily readings or bible study guide but to look at my life in terms of a Christian trying to find and follow God's mission using his Life User's Manuel AKA the Bible.

Matthew 10 19-20

And don't you worry about what you'll say or how you'll say it. The right words will be there; the Spirit of your Father will supply the words. - Matthew 10 19-20

Saturday, December 04, 2010

Light bulbs

A little while ago I was having some trouble with the light bulb in my room. The problem was that my Dad has energy saving light bulbs right through the house which is great and I agree with. But because we have these energy saving light bulbs we tend to have rooms which are not lit as bright as they were in the past. Now this is not such a problem in the lounge, landing etc. but in my room where I do a lot of work on my computer I was struggling to cope with the reduction in light levels.

Being used to living on my own in my own home moving back to my parents and living under the rules they put in place has been a big change. Learning to live within the rules that they have in their house has been at times a challenge and I have had to resist the urge to change the bulbs in my room back to the old fashioned 100W bulbs I am used to. I have however found a solution, last week while out shopping with my Mum I found a 100W equivalent bulb. It was expensive compared to standard bulbs and is significantly larger, it also takes about 5 minutes to warm up and shine at 100W but it is better than before.

When deciding about what to write tonight (and waiting for the bulb to warm up) I started to think about how my light bulb is similar in some ways to faith. Jesus is the light of the world, without Him we are blind and can not see. But also we can fall in to the trap of going to a Church or doing things a certain way because that is how we have always done things. We stick to using standard bulbs because we think we know best. We do not take the time to look at the Bible and see if there is a better way of doing things, see if we are actually on the same song sheet as God. When we do Bible study and pray we are talking to God and listening to His words. Learning to listen to Him and learn the lessons He is teaching is vital to living a good Christian life.

When we have Jesus in the centre of our lives, lighting the way, illuminating our lives there can be no doubt about if we have the right light in our lives. If we have a God centred life then we ourselves will shine with His brilliance and help to light up the world. Lets go out in to the world and be light bulbs for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment