Intro

This blog is supposed to be, as much as I can, my daily journey through life as a Christian. I hope it to be my thoughts and feelings on life but be as grounded in the Christian message as it can. My intention is not to create a daily readings or bible study guide but to look at my life in terms of a Christian trying to find and follow God's mission using his Life User's Manuel AKA the Bible.

Matthew 10 19-20

And don't you worry about what you'll say or how you'll say it. The right words will be there; the Spirit of your Father will supply the words. - Matthew 10 19-20

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Seek ye first

Matthew 6:33
          But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

When I was a child I used to sing a song based on this Bible verse. It was a very simple song which is almost exactly the Bible verse as it stands above.

Seek ye first the Kingdom of God,
And His righteousness,
And all these things will be added unto you,
Hallelu, Hallelujah. 

I love the old songs and choruses like this because they are so simple and say exactly what needs to be said. There is no pretension, nothing added and nothing taken away. In the modern era many of our songs and music has become very complicated and very sophisticated. There is nothing in essence wrong with that, worshipping God in any form is a great thing but it should not all be about the performance we give when singing.

There is a song that is sung in the Church I attend which talks about this very subject. It is something that many others before me have noticed and understood. There are many greater minds and more experienced Christians who have talked and preached on this subject. But it is something that we are guilty of time and time again, making worship more about ourselves than about God. Yes we should worship God with horns and trumpets, we should praise Him with drums and cymbals. But when it becomes more about the music than about God them we have an issue.

The song that we sing about this that I feel is a very well written song and a beautiful piece of music that does what it should. It makes you think about God and how you worship Him, it makes you think about how the music can become our focus. The words to the song are below, please read the lyrics and think about how they apply to worship in the modern era.

When the music fades 
All is stripped away 
And I simply come 
Longing just to bring 
Something that's of worth 
That will bless your heart 

I'll bring You more than a song 
For a song in itself 
Is not what You have required 
You search much deeper within 
Through the way things appear 
You're looking into my heart 

I'm coming back to the heart of worhip 
And it's all about You 
It's all about You, Jesus 
I'm sorry, Lord, for the thing I've made it 
When it's all about You 
It's all about You, Jesus 

King of endless worth 
No one could express 
How much you deserve 
Though I'm weak and poor 
All I have is yours 
Every single breath

I'll bring You more than a song 
For a song in itself 
Is not what You have required 
You search much deeper within 
Through the way things appear 
You're looking into my heart 

I'm coming back to the heart of worship 
And it's all about You 
It's all about You, Jesus 
I'm sorry, Lord, for the thing I've made it 
When it's all about You 
It's all about You, Jesus
                        (Matt Redman)

1 comment:

  1. I love this song, have for years. The lyrics have always spoken to my heart.

    The director of the ministry down in Mexico that my church partners with always challenges us to listen to the words we are singing when we worship the Lord. He tells us, "Don't sing 'Take my life, Lord' if you don't really mean it." To me, this song epitomizes that thought.

    Lord, please transform my rote singing of worship songs into authentic worhip of You. Use these songs to pull me into deeper relationship with You. And use these songs to bless everyone who hears them. In Jesus precious name. Amen

    ReplyDelete