Intro

This blog is supposed to be, as much as I can, my daily journey through life as a Christian. I hope it to be my thoughts and feelings on life but be as grounded in the Christian message as it can. My intention is not to create a daily readings or bible study guide but to look at my life in terms of a Christian trying to find and follow God's mission using his Life User's Manuel AKA the Bible.

Matthew 10 19-20

And don't you worry about what you'll say or how you'll say it. The right words will be there; the Spirit of your Father will supply the words. - Matthew 10 19-20

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Attend a service of rememberance

This post is part of a two year challenge to do a different challenge each week for 2 years, so far we are on to week 7 and doing well. If you are interested in reading the past challenges please check this link for the Soldier's Challenge or check the same tab above.

So this week the challenge was selected by me again instead of choosing it from the hat, the reason for this was that last weekend was Armistice Day and the Church I attend was to be part of the Remembrance Parade. The brass band from my Church was to lead the parade down our town's main street and provide the music for the service while at the cenotaph in the town centre. This was the first time in over 6 years that I had been a part of this event due to my leaving the Church and not being home during November for many years.

This year was a pretty special year as it was one of the biggest parades that has ever set out from our Church and there was a sense of both excitement and a sombreness too. It sounds a strange combination but the event was a huge public event for our town such as has not happened for a large number of years. The excitement came from the many people and children taking part in the march for the first time eager to take part and do well. The sombreness obviously came from the sad nature of the event and the many people there and whol live in the town who are directly linked to the armed forces.

The service itself was a respectful and fitting tribute to servicemen past and present giving them the respect and thanks that they deserve. It was also a tribute to those cadets who were present for the service and commitment they may make in the future if and when they follow through in to the full armed forces.

As far as challenges go it was an easy one to do, but it was one I was glad to have. Because it was part of my challenge I made sure I paid my full attention the whole way through. Often when playing in these kind of events there is much that needs to be done such as finding music and other housekeeping tasks from being part of the band. However because of the help from my older brother with music and coordinating me successfully I was able to take part in the event and pay attention to everything that was going on. So for this I want to thank my brother, who fittingly has been the first person to help or assist me in one of my challenges, I have no doubt I will be helped and assisted in challenges in the future and I will acknowledge all of them as and when they help.

So this week I am back to pulling the next challenge out of my hat and so I am not in control of which task I get week to week. The challenge that has been pulled from the hat this week is Google "William Booth". Another easy one to do but rather than just googling Booth's name I will spend at least an hour this week researching Booth. Feel free to check back daily to read the regular posts and please visit next Sunday to see how I do and what the next task may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment