Intro

This blog is supposed to be, as much as I can, my daily journey through life as a Christian. I hope it to be my thoughts and feelings on life but be as grounded in the Christian message as it can. My intention is not to create a daily readings or bible study guide but to look at my life in terms of a Christian trying to find and follow God's mission using his Life User's Manuel AKA the Bible.

Matthew 10 19-20

And don't you worry about what you'll say or how you'll say it. The right words will be there; the Spirit of your Father will supply the words. - Matthew 10 19-20

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

You can choose your friends....

The saying goes that you can choose your friends but not your family. This is mostly said by parents to disgruntled siblings after a fight along with the other famous one you have to love him/her he/she is your brother/sister/mother/father etc. The one I used to love most was a phrase most often used towards my elder brother in my youth which was "just because I love you doesn't mean I like you right now."

However I am not on another negative rant in this post. In fact what I have to say is quite positive. The thing is I have a fantastic friend, possibly my best friend. I can always rely on him to be there when I need, he always listens to me when I need to vent off steam and he understands me better than almost anyone else in the world. To say that I would struggle without this best friend is a little bit of an understatement. We are something of a pair of trouble makers when we are together, in the fun scally wag sense of the word and are always winding each other up and having a laugh.

The thing is that this best friend is none other than, my little brother. I say little, these days he is only an inch shorter than me and is a well built hockey player, however he still can not beat me in fun fights (although dirty tactics are necessary). I am not sure why me and my little brother get on so well and are best friends when I at least struggle to even talk with my older brother. But I do know that because of the relationship I have with my little brother I always have someone in the family who will support my through anything and help me when I need. As someone who has had their fair share of run ins with family members it is nice to have someone to be able to talk to and not feel left out of the family.

I have struggled over the last couple of months to live at home since finishing uni and starting a new job and with my brother moving away for his first year at uni I have not had anyone to talk to. However next week he comes home for Christmas and we will have a good few weeks of fun and wind ups to enjoy before he goes back to uni in the new year.

What I am saying with this post is that I really appreciate having such a fantastic brother who is also my best friend. I am thankful that I have him and I hope that he feels the same way about me since I do try and be a good brother even though we wind each other up on purpose. God has seen fit to give me a family who challenges me and pushes me to be everything I can be. At times this causes tension and makes it difficult to always be in the best of moods. But he has also given me a brother who I know will always be there supporting me even when the rest of the family is stood at the by line calling me stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment