Intro

This blog is supposed to be, as much as I can, my daily journey through life as a Christian. I hope it to be my thoughts and feelings on life but be as grounded in the Christian message as it can. My intention is not to create a daily readings or bible study guide but to look at my life in terms of a Christian trying to find and follow God's mission using his Life User's Manuel AKA the Bible.

Matthew 10 19-20

And don't you worry about what you'll say or how you'll say it. The right words will be there; the Spirit of your Father will supply the words. - Matthew 10 19-20

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Self control

People who know me well would probably tell you that I am often one to do things on a whim. I live on my ability to do things randomly with little to no planning. I love the feeling of risk and the sense of freedom that I get from just doing things as and when I think of them. Almost everything I have ever done in the past has been at random and with little or no planning.

This does however have some negative results at times which in the past I have just ignored and moved on from. Recently these have not so much caught up with me as I have begun to face and tackle them. I have begun to attempt to fix the issues I have with my family and friends and although it is going to be a long road I know that I will be able to sort those problems out.

One issue of this characteristic of my personality that I still need to work on is my self control. I often lack the self control to be able to stop myself doing something crazy or stupid. Many times I find myself standing in a mess thinking to myself, why did you do that?

This morning in my daily devotions there was a short verse from 2 Timothy that struck a cord with me on this subject.

2 Timothy 1:7 (NIV)
     For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.

This prompted me to think of this in a way that I never have before, this is not an issue that I need to tackle on my own. It is not something that is just about me. God will give me everything I need if I only ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment