Intro

This blog is supposed to be, as much as I can, my daily journey through life as a Christian. I hope it to be my thoughts and feelings on life but be as grounded in the Christian message as it can. My intention is not to create a daily readings or bible study guide but to look at my life in terms of a Christian trying to find and follow God's mission using his Life User's Manuel AKA the Bible.

Matthew 10 19-20

And don't you worry about what you'll say or how you'll say it. The right words will be there; the Spirit of your Father will supply the words. - Matthew 10 19-20

Friday, November 26, 2010

For God is our refuge

Psalm 62:1-8 (NIV)
Truly my soul finds rest in God;
my salvation comes from him.
Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.

How long will you assault me?
Would all of you throw me down-
this leaning wall, this tottering fence?
Surely they intend to topple me
from my lofty place;
they take delight in lies.
With their mouths they bless,
but in their hearts they curse.

Yes, my soul, find rest in God;
my hope comes from him.
Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
My salvation and my honor depend on God;
he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
Trust in him at all times, you people;
pour out your hearts to him,
for God is our refuge.


I have no idea why this passage came to mind to me this evening, I sat down to decide what it was that I was going to write about and all that was in my head were the words Psalm Sixty-two. I didn't even know what the verse was until I looked it up. However when I looked it up this verse is the reminded me of one of my favourite songs I used to sing with the local youth choir.

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be the name of the Lord Most High
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be the name of the Lord Most High

The name of the Lord is a strong tower
The righteous run into it and they are saved
The name of the Lord is a strong tower
The righteous run into it and they are saved

                                      (Clinton Utterbach)

This song is based on another Bible verse that says a similar thing to what Psalm 62 does. The verse that this song is based on is Proverbs 18:10 which is a powerful verse.

Proverbs 18:10
     The name of the LORD is a fortified tower;
     the righteous run to it and are safe.


This week has been quite hard for me, I have had very little time to get everything done and I have had some big conversations with close friends, family and Church members about some major decisions in my near and mid term future. However despite the fact that I have been feeling the pressure and been struggling to cope with things I have had a great sense of calm. Every time I have been feeling down or felt myself slipping in to a trough I have been boosted by something I have read or been told. I am sure that the reason that I have coped and been lifted is because I have been relying more on God than I have in the past. God is my refuge and my fortress, He is my strength and my shield and my protector in all things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment